Wild lovebirds are found in various locations in the huge continent of Africa.
Please look at the map below then look at the guide below the map to find out where the lovebird species are located.
1) Madagascar Lovebird Agapornis cana – Is found on the island of Madagascar( Malagasy Republic).
2) Red-Faced Lovebird Agapornis pullaria – This species is found in equatorial Africa, ranging from Sierra Leone to Lake Albert in Uganda. In the west of it’s range it extends down as far as northern Angola.
3) Abyssinian Lovebird Agapornis taranta – Found in central and eastern Ethiopia and southern Eritrea, where it inhabits quite high altitudes.
4) Swindern’s Lovebird Agapornis swinderniana – One of the rarest lovebirds, This species is rarely seen in captivity. There are three subspecies known which occur in Liberia, the Camaroons and Zaire.
5) Peach-faced Lovebird Agapornis roseicollis – Found in and around Angola
6) Nyasa Lovebird Agapornis lilianae – The Nyasa Lovebird is found in parts of Zambia Malawai and Rhodesia.
7) Black-checked Lovebird Agapornis nigrigenis – Found only in a small part of Zimbabwe
8) Fischer’s Lovebird Agapornis fischeri – This species comes from northwestern Tanzania, south of Lake Victoria.
9) Masked Lovebird Agapornis personata – Found in northeast Tanzania